Houston Plumbing Services | Drain Cleaning
Drains clog over time so it is very important to keep them clean. Regular maintenance performed by our master plumbers can keep pipes from breaking and leaking. This could save you a considerable amount of money.
Whether it is a clogged kitchen drain, stopped up toilet, or a clogged air conditioning line running to a bathroom sink, you need to call a licensed, Houston master plumber immediately.
Shower and bathtub drains become blocked with hair and soap products. Showers should not have standing water in them when the drain is unplugged. If you notice that you are standing in water or need water heater repair because there is no hot water, call our Houston plumbing company today.
Chemical Drain Cleaners and Preventing Clogs
Hiring a Houston residential plumber comes down to a few things, such as their experience and knowledge of the job. When it comes to chemical drain cleaners, a Houston plumber should understand the types of cleaners involved and how they react to clogs and pipes. Drain cleaners come in gel, liquid, and powder form and contain chemicals that create electron reactions and generate heat to clear most typical clogs.
Different Types of Drain Cleaners
Chemical drain cleaners come in three different types, some of which are not found in stores. Each drain cleaner helps to clear blockages by releasing heat and basically transforming the clog into an easily penetrable and movable substance.
- Acid drain cleaners contain either sulfuric acid or hydrochloric acid; therefore, they are rarely found at stores and are only sold to a plumbing company. The hydronium ions in this type of drain cleaner interact with the clog’s electrons, creating a chemical reaction that releases heat and melts congealed grease.
- Caustic drain cleaners contain lye, potash, and other substances and act as bases during the unclogging. After applying a caustic drain cleaner to the pipe, it releases electrons to the clog and creates a chemical reaction that turns grease and similar clogs into a soapy substance. Because a caustic drain cleaner weighs more than water, it reaches the clog more easily and immediately begins working.
- Oxidizing drain cleaners contain bleach, nitrates, and similar household cleaning substances. These cleaners act in a similar manner as caustic drain cleaners since they are heavier than water and move straight to the clog. The chemicals force the clog to lose its ions and oxidize it for easier clearing.
Pros and Cons of Chemical Drain Cleaners
Although they contain harsh chemicals to loosen clogs, these drain cleaners rarely affect pipes in a negative way. Most homes today have polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, pipes. While the chemical drain cleaner may soften the pipe some, it seldom causes any damage. However, chemical drain cleaners may cause more harm to older metal pipes.
Methods for Preventing Drain Clogs
From the kitchen sink to the toilet, preventing drain clogs comes down to regular maintenance. With proper care and good habits, it is possible to avoid clogged drains by following a few simple steps.
- Avoid dumping certain foods, such as egg shells and coffee grounds, in the garbage disposal. Keep the sink strainer in place when rinsing dirty dishes, and clean the strainers regularly to prevent backups. In addition, never dump hot grease in the sink, as it will congeal and lead to a clog buildup later on.
- Keep the bathroom sink stopper closed during hair brushing, or put a small screen cover over the drain to prevent hair from falling in. These screens also come in handy for catching other particles, such as foundation makeup and mascara when removing makeup over the sink.
- Avoid flushing paper towels, baby wipes, dental floss, and facial tissues down the toilet. These items do not break down as easily in water as standard toilet paper does, and they can lead to clogged toilets and septic tank backups. In addition, have the septic system checked every few years to prevent costly repairs down the road.
- Pour hot water down the drains at least once per week to loosen grease and debris before they create clogs.
Regardless of the problem, the plumbers at k2kuban.ru can diagnose a clogged drain and choose the appropriate cleaner or method for the job. In some situations, a long plumber’s snake or more advanced unclogging methods can successfully lift the clog away without the need for chemical drain cleaners.